Early Learning Support for Black Children
As a parent and caregiver, you play an important role in helping your child be successful in life. The books you read them, the routines you establish, and the community you help them build all contribute to their social, emotional, and academic growth. You are your child’s first teacher! This early learning program offers families the resources and support to help children thrive—from their earliest moments through the time they start kindergarten and beyond.
This program is one of many programs of the larger African American/Black Student Success Project. The purpose of the Project is to improve academic outcomes for African American/Black students and to achieve a vision of an equitable education system in Lane County.
The program offers:
- Family visits (at home or in the community) *
- Development screening for child
- 1-1 support with your child’s needs
- Referrals to community resources
- Connection to other families with African American/Black children
* At this time, due to COVID-19 social distancing guidelines, visits will be via phone or online.
Who is eligible?
This program is free for all Lane County children with African American/Black heritage between ages 0-6, regardless of your family’s income or racial/ethnic make-up.
How to sign up or have questions?
- NAACP is providing free tutoring for BIPOC students at the Eugene Science Center– For 6th thru 12th grade. Available Monday, Wednesday and Friday from 12-4 pm.
- Oregon Cares Fund– Cash grants to Black individuals, Black-owned businesses, and Black-led nonprofit organizations who have experienced financial adversity due to COVID-19. All grants must be awarded before December 30, 2020!
- BIPOC Direct Financial Aid Fund– The NAACP has teamed with Lane County Mutual Aid to provide cash to families in need. Families and Single Parents encouraged to apply.
- Garden vegetable exchange/food pantry – Visit the New Annie Mims Community Garden (255 Maxwell off River Road in Eugene). Saturdays 10-12 pm. A partnership with Our Redeemer Lutheran Church.